It was cabbage and urine
Snippets of my life since my last post:
~I blew my professors' minds on my mid-terms. At least, I like to think of it that way.
~I see quite an interesting variety of patients at the hospital. There is this very large elderly lady who comes in all the time complaining about her brace. Every week she seems to find something else wrong with it...personally, I think she's just bored at home, so she thinks up reasons to come to our office. And she stays for HOURS each time she comes!!! The worst part is that she has a very distinct, very powerful odor to her...it's not like normal old lady smell either...my co-worker put it best when he said "I walked into her room and it was cabbage and urine!" That's really what it smells like, and it hits you like a brick wall and smells up the entire office. God bless her...
~I went to a Casting Crowns concert last weekend with a fellow student who had an extra ticket. It was AMAZING! Loved it! Pillar and Toby Mac were the opening bands. I don't really know any of their songs, but Toby Mac had these sweet ghetto dancers on stage with him...they were like doing backflips off of the speakers and stuff, all in the name of Jesus. I've never felt the spirit move me to do a backflip, but hey, that's just me...
~Another work story: My co-worker was casting an elderly man for a leg brace and I was just observing (which is what I do most of the time...just stand and watch). Anyway, she was wrapping his leg in fiberglass bandage, which is how we usually take a mold of someone's limb. You have to wet the fiberglass and then wrap the leg, and as the fiberglass dries, it hardens into a nice cast. Well, when it is wet, it is very sticky on the outside. We have to use gloves to apply it because it will stick to fingers like superglue. So my co-worker had just wrapped this gentleman's leg and foot and was holding it, waiting for the fiberglass to dry. I asked her a question and she looked over at me to answer, and unknowingly set the man's foot down on the tile floor. A few seconds later, she looked down and saw his foot resting on the floor and went to lift it up...but nothing happened. The fiberglass cast was stuck to the tile! She grabbed around his ankle and pulled...it wouldn't budge. She started to panic, so I said "Here, I'll get it up," thinking that I was stronger. So I started yanking on the guy's ankle....and all the while the patient has no idea that his foot is stuck in a cast that is stuck to the floor (he was elderly and had some mental problems). So I'm yanking on his ankle as hard as I can, when I suddenly feel it break loose. But I look down and realize that the tile under the man's foot had broken loose from the floor and was stuck to the bottom of his foot!
So I start tapping the tile to get it off, but it doesn't budge. My co-worker grabs a hammer and starts hammering at the tile. It finally breaks loose and drops to the floor with a loud crash that sends our boss running to the room. I quickly fit the tile back into its position on the floor and we pretended nothing had happened. The best part was at the end, the man we had been casting was like "I don't even need this brace, I already have one." It turns out he had told his doctor that he lost his brace and needed to be casted for a new one, but in actuality, he didn't lose it. He'd even brought his old brace to his appointment with us to show us that he didn't need a new one, but had failed to mention that until he was leaving. So we ended up throwing away the cast we'd worked so hard to free from the floor. This is why I don't want to work with senile old people...
Well, that's all I've got for now. I get to come home for Thanksgiving break in less than 2 weeks! Yay!
~I blew my professors' minds on my mid-terms. At least, I like to think of it that way.
~I see quite an interesting variety of patients at the hospital. There is this very large elderly lady who comes in all the time complaining about her brace. Every week she seems to find something else wrong with it...personally, I think she's just bored at home, so she thinks up reasons to come to our office. And she stays for HOURS each time she comes!!! The worst part is that she has a very distinct, very powerful odor to her...it's not like normal old lady smell either...my co-worker put it best when he said "I walked into her room and it was cabbage and urine!" That's really what it smells like, and it hits you like a brick wall and smells up the entire office. God bless her...
~I went to a Casting Crowns concert last weekend with a fellow student who had an extra ticket. It was AMAZING! Loved it! Pillar and Toby Mac were the opening bands. I don't really know any of their songs, but Toby Mac had these sweet ghetto dancers on stage with him...they were like doing backflips off of the speakers and stuff, all in the name of Jesus. I've never felt the spirit move me to do a backflip, but hey, that's just me...
~Another work story: My co-worker was casting an elderly man for a leg brace and I was just observing (which is what I do most of the time...just stand and watch). Anyway, she was wrapping his leg in fiberglass bandage, which is how we usually take a mold of someone's limb. You have to wet the fiberglass and then wrap the leg, and as the fiberglass dries, it hardens into a nice cast. Well, when it is wet, it is very sticky on the outside. We have to use gloves to apply it because it will stick to fingers like superglue. So my co-worker had just wrapped this gentleman's leg and foot and was holding it, waiting for the fiberglass to dry. I asked her a question and she looked over at me to answer, and unknowingly set the man's foot down on the tile floor. A few seconds later, she looked down and saw his foot resting on the floor and went to lift it up...but nothing happened. The fiberglass cast was stuck to the tile! She grabbed around his ankle and pulled...it wouldn't budge. She started to panic, so I said "Here, I'll get it up," thinking that I was stronger. So I started yanking on the guy's ankle....and all the while the patient has no idea that his foot is stuck in a cast that is stuck to the floor (he was elderly and had some mental problems). So I'm yanking on his ankle as hard as I can, when I suddenly feel it break loose. But I look down and realize that the tile under the man's foot had broken loose from the floor and was stuck to the bottom of his foot!
So I start tapping the tile to get it off, but it doesn't budge. My co-worker grabs a hammer and starts hammering at the tile. It finally breaks loose and drops to the floor with a loud crash that sends our boss running to the room. I quickly fit the tile back into its position on the floor and we pretended nothing had happened. The best part was at the end, the man we had been casting was like "I don't even need this brace, I already have one." It turns out he had told his doctor that he lost his brace and needed to be casted for a new one, but in actuality, he didn't lose it. He'd even brought his old brace to his appointment with us to show us that he didn't need a new one, but had failed to mention that until he was leaving. So we ended up throwing away the cast we'd worked so hard to free from the floor. This is why I don't want to work with senile old people...
Well, that's all I've got for now. I get to come home for Thanksgiving break in less than 2 weeks! Yay!


4 Comments:
At 1:21 AM EST,
Monique said…
That's right! You blog and you like it! All I can say is that this reminds me of Little Britain at the Fat Fighters meeting when she said, "God, she stinks and everything." There should be a sitcom about your experiences at work. Maybe we could combine it with my past experiences at the 'ell 'ole. Love you.
At 7:06 PM EST,
Kim said…
Dude, that was the funniest thing I've read in a long time! Love you!
At 4:25 PM EST,
Mooskers J. Featherbottom III said…
I was going to make cabbage and urine for Thanksgiving dinner at your parents' place, but it sounds like you wouldn't want any, so I'll just make some sausage balls instead. See you in a few days!!!
At 5:17 PM EST,
Paige Ferg said…
I have seen all of those bands in concert too. Toby Mac puts on a good show. never a dull moment.
Post a Comment
<< Home