Top 6 Shapes for Car Wheels
1. Circular. Currently the dominant shape in the market, well-known for its smooth ride, especially at high speeds. The lack of "wow" factor, however, makes this common wheel shape a little boring for those fashion-forward individuals.
2. Square. A circle with corners, this wheel is the most simple deviation from the norm. It works especially well when you're driving over a road made of inverted catenary curves. Please tell me I'm not the only geek who remembers catenaries from high school algebra.
3. Triangular. This is probably the most awesome-looking wheel, however it no doubt does the crappiest job of getting you anywhere. Three sides equals three sharp angles, so this wheel basically doesn't function. But if you want to have the coolest looking parked car on the street, this is the wheel for you! Bonus: the triangle wheel comes in isosceles, equilateral, right, and scalene models. Score!
4. Octagonal. Second to the circle, the octagon gives the smoothest ride. Great for highway driving with minimal bumping. Plus, the fact that it's the same shape as a stop sign lends itself to some awesome painting possibilities.
5. Rhomboid. The biggest problem with this wheel is that nobody remembers what a rhombus is. So the conversation will inevitably go something like this...
Regular guy: "Dude, where did you get those diamond-shaped wheels?"
Nerd: [Sigh] "They're called rhomboid wheels, and I got them at Wal-Mart, OK?"
Regular guy: "Aren't only two of the sides supposed to be parallel?"
Nerd: "No, you're thinking of a trapezoid. A rhombus has all opposite sides parallel."
Regular guy: "I thought that was a square?"
Nerd: [Rolls his eyes] "No, a square has opposite sides parallel and 4 right angles."
Regular guy: "So what's a rhombus?"
Nerd: "It's a parallelogram with opposite sides parallel and all sides the same length, OK? Jeez!"
Regular guy: "Well they look like diamonds to me."
Nerd: "Look, do you want me to tell you that these wheels are a mistake? They're a mistake, OK? Just drop it!"

6. Sphere. This wheel takes the common circle to a new extreme! The sphere gives an ultra smooth ride, but unlike its circular cousin, it is not limited to forward and reverse motions. The sphere rolls in any direction at any time with no way to control it, making driving completely and utterly terrifying! Sweet!
2. Square. A circle with corners, this wheel is the most simple deviation from the norm. It works especially well when you're driving over a road made of inverted catenary curves. Please tell me I'm not the only geek who remembers catenaries from high school algebra.
3. Triangular. This is probably the most awesome-looking wheel, however it no doubt does the crappiest job of getting you anywhere. Three sides equals three sharp angles, so this wheel basically doesn't function. But if you want to have the coolest looking parked car on the street, this is the wheel for you! Bonus: the triangle wheel comes in isosceles, equilateral, right, and scalene models. Score!4. Octagonal. Second to the circle, the octagon gives the smoothest ride. Great for highway driving with minimal bumping. Plus, the fact that it's the same shape as a stop sign lends itself to some awesome painting possibilities.
5. Rhomboid. The biggest problem with this wheel is that nobody remembers what a rhombus is. So the conversation will inevitably go something like this...
Regular guy: "Dude, where did you get those diamond-shaped wheels?"
Nerd: [Sigh] "They're called rhomboid wheels, and I got them at Wal-Mart, OK?"
Regular guy: "Aren't only two of the sides supposed to be parallel?"
Nerd: "No, you're thinking of a trapezoid. A rhombus has all opposite sides parallel."
Regular guy: "I thought that was a square?"
Nerd: [Rolls his eyes] "No, a square has opposite sides parallel and 4 right angles."
Regular guy: "So what's a rhombus?"
Nerd: "It's a parallelogram with opposite sides parallel and all sides the same length, OK? Jeez!"
Regular guy: "Well they look like diamonds to me."
Nerd: "Look, do you want me to tell you that these wheels are a mistake? They're a mistake, OK? Just drop it!"
6. Sphere. This wheel takes the common circle to a new extreme! The sphere gives an ultra smooth ride, but unlike its circular cousin, it is not limited to forward and reverse motions. The sphere rolls in any direction at any time with no way to control it, making driving completely and utterly terrifying! Sweet!


3 Comments:
At 11:36 AM EDT,
Mooskers J. Featherbottom III said…
When reading your latest post, I thought of four things. I will list them below:
1 - My future wife is a nerd (but I love you anyway!)
2 - I know what a rhombus is and I didn't need to be reminded (okay, so I'm a bit of a nerd myself)
3 - My future wife knows what tickles my funny bone (I laughed a bunch at all your wheels)
4 - I want a sphere-wheeled car!
At 12:31 AM EDT,
Monique said…
Okay, so since I'm a little behind on reading posts, my comment is on the last 3.
1. I've never known anyone in my life to look as much like Jessica Alba than you. And by "look like" I mean not resemble in any way, shape, or form other than being female.
2. I just had pudding an hour ago...
3. Shapes make my mind think of math and it goes all gooey, so when I sneezed my brains went everywhere. Oh, and if I had my choice I'd have traperhombusoidal wheels.
At 1:11 PM EDT,
Adam Harshman said…
One important oversight in your overview of alternative and traditional wheel shapes... the dodecahedran, I mean come on, it even sounds good in rap songs.
"Sraight out da ghetto rollin' on my 20 inch dodec.. uhgh uhgh.. ahedrizzles. Chrome rims a blingin' straight pimpin for rizzle." Ok anything can rhyme when every word ends with izzle.
Post a Comment
<< Home